Friday, April 17, 2020

Celebrating Failure


  1. This semester, I have had multiple interviews for summer internships for this upcoming summer. Through the interviews, I would always make it to the second round or further, but I was never able to actually secure the big internships that I wanted. Although I do have an internship for this summer, it is not the one that I was hoping to get or the one that I believed I would learn the most from.
  2. There are a lot of things that I learned from this experience. One of the main things that I learned through trial and error and research was the type of questions that are most commonly asked in interviews and what they interviewer is usually looking for in an answer and how to tie the answer back to the position that I am applying to.
  3. Failure is very tough, especially when you fail at something that you want to be good at or you fail to get something that you really wanted. However, it teaches you what you did wrong and you quickly learn how to adjust yourself to better obtain your goal the next time. The biggest thing that failure has taught me, at least in this sense, is that preparation is key. Before, I would go into an interview blind and wing all my answers. I know have 5-7 skeleton stories that I can change around for specific questions that are asked, and it has made me a much stronger interviewee.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick,
    There is a lot to be said for staying determined after being denied the internships that you wanted. Although you are not going into the internship that you hoped for, it is possible that you will learn something unique from the one that you did land. It is also possible that if you did land the internship that you were hoping for, that it might not have turned out the way that you thought it would. I think the best takeaway that we have from failure is that it is inevitable at some point in our lives, and it is what we make of it that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,
    I think that your research on the ways that the interviewers ask questions is very smart. Knowing what your about to get into and feeling comfortable with it is a step in succeeding. I admire your drive and willingness to keep going after such failures. In the case of the internship, I think that you can make anything out of it and learn just as much from the one you secured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patrick,
    I don't think failure is ever easy for any person to accept. However, even if you did not get the internship you wanted, there is still a lot to learn. You will still be able to learn valuable information and the internship you secured. Also, you now know what the other firms are looking for. This experience can help you be better prepared for future internships and interviews.

    ReplyDelete